Friday, February 7, 2014

Why

My daughter came home from school today with a pained look about her. As soon as I looked into her beautiful eyes I knew. Someone had broken her heart. Without an audible word, as her heart sobbed in silence, she handed me a neatly folded note. There slowly and with hesitation the words spelled out what she had been afraid of for a short while...

Her boyfriend of almost a year was breaking up with her. As my eyes rose from the paper in my hands to meet with her eyes once more, my own heart sobbed along in silence with hers. I knew her pain all too well. I had been in her place. And as I wrapped my arms around her in the hopes of comforting her trembling soul, she softly with tear stained voice asked a question  ... "Why?"

Why....

If I could have even a penny for how many times I have been asked that question by the six children I have raised, or by the hundreds of children I babysat,  helped, or taught I would be quite rich indeed. In the best of times, even in the mediocre of times, I often enjoy the question. But this was not one of those times.

This time it was from a heart broken in bits on the ground, startled and shattered by the instant that can oft betray or change ones' life forever. It was from innocence, disbelief, and betrayal. It was and is a pain that I know all too well and feel to my very core whenever those I care about and love experience it. And I hate it!!

Hate because I have no real answer. I have nothing that can explain or really make one understand. Try as I might I have never been able to make sense out of senseless acts.

Of course I could give some canned answer, some flowery ditty about pain making us stronger. Or perhaps some lovely poem about not giving up or pressing on. And to be sure there are Bible verses, songs, essays, books, and various other words sacred to some or most that give one strength or courage to gather up their shattered life or heart and try to mend it again. I could tell her there are other fish in the sea or how if it is meant to be it will be.... But will it? Do any of these really give an answer?

Why is it the world is so harsh? Why are so many hearts broken? Why can't relationships last and friendships stay true?  Why is there selfishness and greed? Why do feelings fade as cloth in the sun's rays?

And yes, I know the Bible and the story of how we got here. But does it really answer the question?

As I hold her tight in hopes of providing her some strength and comfort, I earnestly and desperately claw through the archives of my mind for an answer. Some where some how along the way I must have gathered an answer, key, map, or clue. This is what comes...

Because....

Because we get so wrapped up in our own lives and worries we forget the other moving things about us have feelings too. Because we allow our feelings to fade. Because we forget that love and friendship do not just keep happening, they are often a choice. Because we try and work hard for money and power but get lazy in love and kindness. Because we make decisions quickly and without enough thought and make changes out of need without considering those affected by them. Because we allow things to fester and when we become poisonous and infected we blame others and force them to deal with our mess. Because at times we are young and stupid. Because the world changes and we let it change us as well. Because...

As true as all that might be, does it really help?

It would if most of us tried to be more careful with those around us. If we were to keep promises, choose to have integrity, and continue to choose to love and care for those you have asked into your life. But there is one "because" that stands out more then all the rest...

Because life is not what is was meant to be.

And as long as we live on this earth, love will be fickle, passions will fade, hearts will be broken, promises forgotten, friendships lost, and souls will be crushed.

One day though we will be in a place where life will be as it should be. Love will last eternally, passions will soar, hearts will swell from joy and contentment, promises will bind, friendships thrive, and souls will be indestructible!

I do not know when that day will be. But it will be.

I hold my daughter closely and I whisper in her ear, " I may not know why, but I do know this..."




~~~~~~~
"And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; 
and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, 
neither shall there be any more pain: 
for the former things are passed away." Rev. 21:4

No comments:

Post a Comment